Announcements and Upcoming Events!
2nd Annual Read-A-Thon
February 16-28, 2021
The Lester Prairie PTO is excited to announce that we will still have our Fall Read-a-thon Fundraiser during “I Love To Read” month. Due to restrictions created by the pandemic, we will be doing it in a different format this year.
What is our READ-A-THON fundraiser all about?
- The Read-A-Thon will promote reading and build literacy skills while raising money to support our school. It does not involve selling, and 100% of the donation goes directly to the LP PTO, which in turn goes directly back to students and their classrooms to enhance their school experience.
- Last year we raised $6,500. Can we meet this again???!!!!
Here’s how it works:
- Collect Sponsors: Students will be asked to solicit donations from people (sponsors) who would like to support their learning and the school. (Potential sponsors: grandparents, aunts & uncles, family, friends, neighbors, etc.). Packets will be handed out during conference on Thursday, February 4th and Monday, February 8th.
- Read, Read, Read!! Each student will attempt to read 20 minutes per day as a reading goal (this includes independent reading and being read to). On February 16th, your child will begin reading. For the next 2 weeks (Feb 16th -28th) your child will continue reading and document their daily minutes read. Students will document minutes on the special reading tracker which is provided in your packet. Parents/Guardians will verify total minutes read by signing the tracker form.
- Theme days: Throughout the two weeks there will be special theme days for your child to dress up and participate in.
- Turn in your money packet **Tuesday 2/16**: Tally up total amount collected. Use the provided envelope to return the Pledge Sheet and Checks/Money collected to your child’s teacher.
- Turn in your reading tracker **Monday 3/1**: Tally up total minutes read, sign the form and have your child turn the tracker into their teacher.
- All students will get a finger light, which is included in their packet, and a bookmark when the read-a-thon is over. The reading tracker will list fun and engaging ways for your child to read each day.
- Prizes will be awarded to:
- top reader from each grade
- top overall readers
- top amount collected
- If the students read 50,000 minutes, Mr. Lee will wear a crazy wig for the day!!
- Prizes will be announced on Friday Feb 5th.
We look forward to this new opportunity to raise funds for our school while encouraging a love of reading and literacy. Thank you in advance for your support. – Lester Prairie PTO
Please sign up on the Remind App https://www.remind.com/join/68b93k. If you already have the Remind App please join our class @68b93k. Here you will find the minutes to the meeting, requests from teachers, upcoming events and when we are looking for volunteers.
You can also find us out on Facebook at Lester Prairie School PTO!